Jump to Navigation

Options for enforcing child support

In many divorce cases where children are involved, one party is typically considered the custodial parent while the other pays child support. Many custodial parents rely on this source of income to get them through tough financial times. Unfortunately, many never see the payments arrive. Some parents do whatever it takes to avoid having to give up a portion of their paycheck to a former spouse. They may quit their job, move to another state - or even another country - and disappear from their child's life forever, just to avoid having to pay this monthly obligation. This can be frustrating, but there are some things that can be done to force the parent to comply.

When the noncustodial parent fails to pay child support on time, the debt builds and builds. If the parent does not inform the court of the reason why the payment is not made, they are now in contempt of court. This can lead to legal ramifications for the parent. They could be jailed and forced to give up a driver's license or professional license.

If the parent has faced a major life change that makes them unable to make the payment, then it is possible to request a child support agreement modification. Events that may qualify for a modification include job loss, disability or a change in the custody order. For example, if the noncustodial parent is now in custody of the child for a higher percentage of the time, then their support payment may need to decrease to compensate for this change.

If you are having issues with your ex-spouse paying child support on time, there are options available to you. Don't just ignore the fact; you need this money to pay for your child's everyday expenses. Speak with an experienced family law attorney to see how you can get the other parent to comply.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Call or Fill Out Our Intake Form

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Gaithersburg Divorce Lawyers Video

http://www.mckeonlawfirm.com 202-742-1800 The McKeon Law Firm handles marital property issues in divorce. The attorneys are experienced in business valuation & tracing assets. Contact us in Gaithersburg, Maryland for property division matters.

Subscribe to This Blog's Feed Visit our Divorce Law Website