Jump to Navigation

When a child custody or support modification may be needed

When Maryland parents divorce, they will typically reach an agreement regarding custody and support. However, life sometimes throws us curves, and changes may need to be made. While the changes may be in your favor - such as an offer out-of-state for a high-paying job - the court will be thinking about the best interests of your child as well. Depending on the circumstances, you may be able to request a modification.

Besides jobs and relocation, there other situations in which you may need to modify your current child custody agreement. A noncustodial parent may actually want a higher percentage of custody and may be able to get it if he or she can prove extreme circumstances such as child abuse or substance use.

Child support can be modified as well. Sometimes job situations change. A person working full-time may suddenly be downgraded to part-time or lose his or her job altogether. This can make paying monthly child support financially difficult. In exchange, though, the noncustodial parent could provide daycare services for the child while the custodial parent works. On the flip side, the noncustodial parent could be asked to pay more if the child requires more medical care or there is an increase in education expenses for some reason.

There are other reasons why a child custody or support modification may be in order. If you have questions about whether or not your current situation requires a modification, contact us for a consultation. We have been on both sides of modification cases, so we know how to approach the problem. We can review the details and assist you with the next steps.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Call or Fill Out Our Intake Form

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Gaithersburg Divorce Lawyers Video

http://www.mckeonlawfirm.com 202-742-1800 The McKeon Law Firm handles marital property issues in divorce. The attorneys are experienced in business valuation & tracing assets. Contact us in Gaithersburg, Maryland for property division matters.

Subscribe to This Blog's Feed Visit our Divorce Law Website