Jump to Navigation

Visitation rights for unmarried fathers, Part 1

Mothers are granted parental rights when they give birth. Fathers can establish paternity (parental rights) in a number of the ways. The easiest method is by being married to the mother at the time of the birth or signing a document that affirmatively established fatherhood. But what can unmarried fathers do who were not present at the birth and did not establish paternity? Do they have any visitation or custody rights? This post will go over how they can establish those rights.

There are two paths that you can take. If you are and the mother are able to cooperate, then you can work with her to establish custody rights and paternity. This is the simplest solution. If you and the mother are unable to cooperate, then you will have to try to get a court order.

If you are able to work with the mother, then you would work out a parenting plan with her. The parenting plan lays out the plan that both parents will use to raise the child. It can be very detailed or it can be broad. It is up to you. While you are working on the parenting plan, you will need to establish paternity. Once paternity is established, you can jointly submit the parenting plan and that will form the basis for the custody arrangement.

If you are seeking a modification to your child custody arrangement, you may want to sit down with an attorney. As discussed previously, the court will only base its decision on what is best for the child; not on your or your child's other parent's preference. The legal issues surrounding child custody are complex. A lawyer can help you navigate this process.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Call or Fill Out Our Intake Form

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Gaithersburg Divorce Lawyers Video

http://www.mckeonlawfirm.com 202-742-1800 The McKeon Law Firm handles marital property issues in divorce. The attorneys are experienced in business valuation & tracing assets. Contact us in Gaithersburg, Maryland for property division matters.

Subscribe to This Blog's Feed Visit our Divorce Law Website